Saturday, November 18, 2017

POTHOLE SEASON IS ALL YEAR ROUND!


(A true story by: Mrs. Natasha Murphy - McLean, VA 10/23/2017)

So I was driving down route 66 toward Fairfax one afternoon heading back to get my daughter from dance class.  After enduring three days of heavy rain,  and at last, a blue sky and dry roads are back- gracing us with a picture-perfect day without any traffic or stress.  But like all good things, an end to a drama-free day was looming just behind the bend.

BANG! Something violently awful and unexpected hit my car from below... it was the road itself!  A pothole... a #*&$% pothole!!! More like a crater engulfed my left side and cut my tire in two parts when my wheel hit the sharp edge of the road.  From the drivers' side, my eye did not catch this until it was almost under me. I tried to stay composed behind the wheel and carefully slow down with the fear of losing control of the wheel and get any additional damage, but it was too late-- a ripped tire, a dented wheel and a screwed up alignment (totaling $1150 in repairs) just placed me into the list of millions of drivers affected by a post-rain pothole.

If this story sounds familiar to you, it's because you are far from alone.  From tire blowouts to bent wheels to major suspensions and axle replacements, over 3.2 Million Americans have reportedly accrued considerable damage to their cars due to potholes each year.  The American Automobile Association (AAA) estimates pothole damage costs US drivers $3 Billion in repairs each year*. The ASCE  (American Society of Civil Engineers) the cost of bad roads to American businesses between now and 2022 is estimated to cost $240 Billion **.

Sitting like a lame duck on the side of the road waiting for AAA to bail me out got me thinking about those FINLEY road construction crews that are usually to blame for my morning drive-to-work  delays.  It didn't dawn on me until now that "they were actually NOT the bad guys after all".  I also realized how vulnerable we as drivers are to these eventualities since our very roadways are that easily affected by nature.  I can only imagine that if a few days of wet weather caused this, we've got a whole country and  millions of miles of streets and roadways exposed to varying climates and megatons of vehicles each day that need constant maintenance.


9 comments:

  1. We have tons of potholes up here in New York. That's probably what answers for our high taxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback, Dr. Rochman. Yes, I agree our roads are definitely an investment, but we down here in VA have the same pothole issues, I guess due to more traffic each year.

      Delete

  2. Great article. I had the same thing happen to me on the mall parking lot by me. It's an expense AND a migraine- got insurance involved and I was sorry for that. They raised my premium bc they said it was all my fault for not 'seeing' the pothole. Note to self: next pothole, don't call insurance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carmen. Repairs are never convenient or cheap, especially when it comes to this type of damage. The best we can do is stay safe and be careful out there especially after rainstorms or snow.

      Delete
  3. Is that a Subaru Forester? I'm surprised you got that damage. Their rims are like bulletproof! Sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No brand is exempt from every road condition... or is there? Bulletproof or not, I would not attempt to test my rims this way.

      Delete
  4. To report a pothole in the state of Virginia, visit: http://www.virginiadot.org/info/faq-potholes.asp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Your link is definitely an important and useful resource.

      Delete
  5. Just traveled to British Virgin Islands. The hurricane did amazing damage. Who would think the roads would take a huge hit from a hurricane. With rain runoff from the mountains, and dirt, debris, etc not where it was supposed to be....travel was insane, and almost impassable at speeds greater than 5mph. Then thought of asphalt companies jumping to repair the roads....not a chance, at least not quickly. Their suffering is real, in many ways. Praying they, Puerto Rico, and the Carribean, heal quickly.

    That said, we have one of the best highway repair systems in the world. There is ALWAYS construction going on and no shortage of money and contractors to upkeep at it all the time. It impacts is daily, and is extremely costly when we got these potholes. Northeast suffered from snow, salt, plows, freezing. Etc. This problem will never go away. Go out for a bike ride in March....you can almost forget a clean road to ride on cautiously. But, we continue to have the cycle of repairs, especially after rains.

    I hope the search for alternative materials for roadways continues. It would Be great to mitigate this problem with something that is not so vulnerable to the weather and can sustain far longer under such conditions. Time will tell.

    Until then, I hope not to hit another pothole any time soon. Even my big old Ford F150 is vulnerable to damage from these ugly holes!

    ReplyDelete

Finley Asphalt & Concrete's Newly Elected Chief Operating Officer & 2018 Corporate Upgrade

MANASSAS, Va., Jan. 15, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- In the first yearly executive board meeting led by company President Lewis Finley and CEO Eri...